Thursday, April 17, 2008

Through to European Third Round

Today has been a very good day for me as I have secured my position in the third round of the European Championships with a two set win over Sven Eric Kastens of Germany 21-19 21-19.
The first set was a very close game as Kastens took an early lead 9-6. I levelled it up at 9-9 and we continued to swap points and were level at 12-12,17-17 and 18-18. I dug deep into my mental reserves and managed to string a few points together to eventually take the opening set 21-19.
The second set was so different as at 4-4 I took control of the game and pulled away to lead 14-8. I was playing well and controlling the rallies. I felt good and really confident. But something happened mentally and I let him back into the game. Point by point he clawed his way back and at 19-14 up he won 5 straight points to level the game at 19-19.
But I was not going to let this one get away from me. I’m mentally stronger now and I just called on all my reserves again and won the next two points to take the set 21-19 and the match.
I’m so happy right now as this is my first run in a tournament in a while and all the work I have been putting in is starting to pay off. Next for me is the top Russian Stanislav Pukhov who beat English favourite Andrew Smith 21-12 21-17. Pukhov is ranked 69 in the world so I’m just going to go out there and give it my all once again and do my best to beat him.

No comments: